Hurricane Maria has pummeled Puerto Rico over the past week, knocking out power for the entire island. The island’s calls for help have been answered by an unlikely source…hackers. Several data security companies and hacker conferences have started collecting money and supplies for Puerto Rico. These are the good hackers, and an ideal source to help with getting communication lines and Internet connectivity to those in need.
So far they have collected $15,000 and are sending emergency equipment, radios, laptops, phones, and more! Some of the great organizations that are helping include: Derbycon, Shmoocon, Hushcon, BSidesRaleigh, Nolacon, BSidesDE, Phantom Rescue, Hackers for Charity, BSidesPR, and BSidesLV!
Thank you hackers and the security community!!
And that’s what’s good,
Latest from Jon
- Triangle InfoSeCon and BSides RDU Close Out Cybersecurity Awareness Month in NC
- Rescued elephant and dog become best friends
- Dairy Queen employee goes above and beyond for blind customer
- Stranger pays dinner bill for family with epileptic child
- Sophomore gives epic motivational speech to freshman at Georgia Tech